Do you need a simple but fun dessert to take to a picnic, party or potluck? I made these ice cream cone cupcakes for my nephew’s graduation party. They were a big hit among the kids . . . and I saw a few adults walking around with them too!
What you’ll need:
- Box of Cake Mix (and necessary ingredients)
- 24 Flat-Bottom Ice Cream Cones
- Frosting (I used two different kinds)
1. Prepare your cake batter according to directions.
2. Arrange the cones on a rimmed cookie sheet. If you’re wondering if they will tip over, don’t worry. Once there is batter in the cones, they will become bottom-heavy. If you’re still concerned, put them in a muffin pan and surround with crumbled tin foil.
3. My cookbook called for 1/4 cup batter to be poured in each cone. I found that to be entirely too much! My advice? Fill the entire narrow part of the cone and a quarter of the wider part. I found that when I went half way or above in the wider part, it spilled over the cone while baking.
4. Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until done.
5. Cool and decorate with frosting and sprinkles. I piped store-bought icing on with a Wilton #21 tip and bag, but you could ice the cupcakes with any tip and ziploc bag. If you want to make the icing higher like a true soft-serve cone, I suggest firming up your own icing with powdered sugar. Store-bought won’t hold up.
6. Going on the road with the dessert? Prepare boxes to transport your sweet treats and plate upon arrival.