I made these fun Ice Cream Sandwiches for New Year’s Eve. I love how festive they look! And it is a great treat if you have left over candy canes. The devil food cake cookies were a good mix with the peppermint candy, but next time I want to try my cousin’s chocolate chip cake cookie recipe with a different candy topping.
The original recipe “Jingle Bells Ice Cream Sandwiches” comes from Fun Stuff Holiday, a cute book with lots of fun ideas.
What You’ll Need:
1 package devil’s food cake mix
5 tablespoons butter, melted
1 box of Candy canes (we also tried red and white sprinkles)
1 quart of vanilla ice cream
Recipe makes 15-18 sandwiches.
1. Preheat your oven to 350 and lightly spray your cookie sheet with nonstick spray.
2. At medium speed for 1-2 minutes, beat the cake mix, butter and eggs until smooth. Drop the dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto the cookie sheet. Bake for 11-12 minutes until cookies are no longer shiny and the edges are set. Cool for 5 minutes on the cookie sheet then move to a wire rack.
3. Put your candy canes in a ziploc storage bag and crush the candy with a mallet. Place your crushed candies in a shallow bowl.
5. Line another cookie sheet with wax paper and place in the freezer.
6. Soften ice cream as needed. Place a scoop on the bottom of a cookie and top with a second cookie. Roll the sides of the ice cream sandwich in your crushed candy cane or other candy and place on your tray in the freezer. Repeat.
7. Wrap the cookies in press ‘n seal if you won’t be using them right away.
* We used very hard ice cream and found that it was easier if we brought the sandwiches out of the freezer and let them sit for 10 minutes before eating.
(This post contains an affiliate link. Please see the Disclosure Policy on the About Page for more info.)