I’ve discovered something lately. Multi-tasking is not working for me. I start on something then flit and float to something else and so on and so on. The result? Nothing gets completed!
So I’m trying something new. Good bye Multi-Tasking. Hello Chunk Tasking!
Chunk tasking is focusing chunks of your time on a specific task. This reduces start up time, minimizes distractions and therefore you become more focused and more productive.
I wrote on my list covering one hour and forty-five minutes, chunking my time for each task. I set my timer, rolled up my sleeves and began.
Here was my plan:
- 9:15am Kitchen clean up: which meant clutter clean, catch up on dishes, vacuum crumb city under the table, clean the counters and put away all dried dishes.
- 9:40am Dining Room (put away all the serving pieces and decorations from the last party)
- 9:55am Think about and set out serving pieces for next party. (Yes, party central this month!)
- 10:10am Dust First Floor
- 10:30am Playtime with Kids (didn’t want them to feel neglected since I was buzzing around)
- 10:45am Deal with Health Insurance (phone call and assemble receipts to be faxed)
The Result? Wow! Got it all done and felt incredible. I was motivated. I was focused. And I finished! Now, I suppose there are some things I will still do with multi-tasking such as clutter clean when I happen to be on the phone, or clean the bathroom while the kids are in the bath. But my new best tasking friend is chunking!
I’m setting my timer….Now!