I was driving down the road, coming home from school one day and passed by a little garage sale. Just beyond the canopy attached to the garage, I saw it.
It caught my eye and drew me like a magnet. I didn’t have time to stop but that internal debate happened momentarily as I fought with my desire to turn around, walk up the drive and claim it as my own.
And that was when I realized I had a problem.
What was it?
A wooden chair. A simple, little wood chair to add to my collection.
And just like baby dolls call my mom’s name, chairs call mine. Not necessarily the fabric kind, but rather the stained and painted wood ones. I see them at garage sales, at flea markets, at resale shops and I want to buy them (for the right price, of course). I think I can trace the origin back to this post and the thought of collecting as assortment of eclectic chairs.
Well, can’t you picture it? An array of wooden chairs in different shapes and sizes around a wood table in the forest. Amazing. Cute mismatched chair pillows along with a great spread of food ready and waiting to welcome guests to no ordinary feast.
On one hand, this little obsession could work for me since we have moved into the new house, with this Restoration Hardware kitchen table and no chairs. I simply can’t find what I am looking for at a reasonable (gulp) price. All the little wooden chairs I have collected will provide temporary seating.
How Much I Spend: My general rule is to pay $5-8 per chair. I have paid as little as $4 and as much as 3 for $25. Most of them I keep as is. But the set of three and an already-painted chair got a fresh coat of paint/stain and for one, a little distress.
How I Convince Myself This Obsession is Practical: It is always nice to have extra chairs when guests are coming over. I’ll use them forever in entertaining. Whether it be strategically around the house to create conversation areas or as I mentioned previously, an eclectic assortment around a table like I did for the Alice in Wonderland Party in the yard or the Lego Movie Party by the lake.
And I suppose there could be worse things to be obsessed about!
(I love love love how the painted chairs came out. Fun, whimsical, cute.)
What do you think of my little obsession? Come hang out with me and it may rub off.
Party time. Guests are serving themselves drinks and blue kool-aid is dripping down the side of the pitcher onto the table. Or maybe it is the spout of your favorite beverage dispenser leaking iced tea even when turned off in plenty of time. It happens to everyone, right?
A wipeable surface works best for a beverage station, but if you’re like me and you like to switch it up a bit and serve your drinks from different pieces of furniture (especially wood tables), you’ll love this easy little tip.
Instead of letting party spills and drips ruin your table, try this:
Hide a couple pieces of cling wrap under your tablecloth and protect your table from party spills and drips. It is cheap and easy!
Do you have a party tip? Share it below!
Spring is coming or at least I am telling myself that over and over again. I love the variety of decorations that can go on a Spring table setting.
Today, we’re making a mossy pot centerpiece. The number of uses for this pot are endless. I used it as a napkin holder but you could do so much more. Turn it upside down and top it with a glass plate and serve pretty pastries. Add a styrofoam cone or ball and glue pastel M&M’s or other candy. . . yes, endless.
And I love that this little craft can be done very inexpensively. Other than my glue gun and Mod Podge, all of the items came from the Dollar Tree. Hooray for saving some dough!
What you’ll need to make your Mossy Pot Centerpiece:
- Terracotta Pot (mine was 5″ tall)
- Reindeer Moss
- Flower Gems, if desired
- Small Box or Bowl
- Mod Podge, Bowl & Foam Applicator
- Hot Glue Gun
1. Pour your reindeer moss into your box or bowl. Break it up as much as possible.
2. Cover your pot with Mod Podge. I worked in sections. You will need the glue to be pretty thick.
Incidentally, when I am working with large amounts of glue, I always use our Kiwi Crate bowl. When it dries, I can simply peel the glue out in one piece.
3. Roll your pot in the moss or apply by hand. I did both.
4. Repeat until the entire pot is covered.
5. Allow to dry and then with your scissors, give your mossy pot a hair cut.
6. Reapply glue and moss to spots of terracotta that are still exposed.
5. Press down on the moss by cupping the pot in your hands.
8. Dry and give the pot another hair cut. Trim the extras and long pieces.
9. If you are adding any embellishments to your mossy pot centerpiece, do so with hot glue. If you’re keeping it natural, you’re all done.
How will you use your mossy pot centerpiece?
Next week, I’ll be showing you a cloth napkin fold that you can use with the mossy pot. But instead of just one pot, you’ll need multiples . . . one for each place setting/guest.
**This post contains affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.
You’ll love this Sweet Treats collection on sale now at Zulily.
What’s cozier than a homemade treat on a chilly day? Sweet Treats has gathered up their favorite bakeware and accessories, so you can easily whip up something delicious. From pastry sets and scoops to durable baking pans and impression rolling pins, this tasty assortment will fill the cupboards with essentials. You’ll be prepared the next time it’s a cookie kind of afternoon!
Don’t wait around to check it out. This Zulily collection only lasts for 2 more days.
Click here to shop the collection now.
Are you a crafter?
If so, you may want to start doing the happy dance because the Silhouette Cameo is on sale on Amazon for $199 (normally sells for $269). The Cameo is a personal cutting machine perfect for all kinds of crafters. Create incredible items for parties, home decor, scrapbooking, gifts…just about anything you can imagine. This machine can cut a variety of materials from vinyl to fabric and even sketch. The software is easy to use and let’s you be in control with the ability to customize everything.
Can you tell I LOVE this machine?
The deal on Amazon is a bundle kit which means you get more than just the machine. You’ll have all you need to start with mats, blades, pick up tool, sketch pens and even a download card to start on different designs. (When I bought mine, I paid $270 and only got the machine!)
See the deal now!
Are you earning gift cards on Swagbucks? I started using Swagbucks a couple years ago and was quickly impressed how easily I could add up my bucks and redeem them for gift cards for places like Amazon. For you coffee drinkers, you’ll be glad to know Starbuck gift cards are also available.
What is Swagbucks?
Swagbucks is a search engine that rewards you for searching, among many other things. Just as you would use Google to search the web, you can use Swagbucks (which is powered by Yahoo). Every so often in your searching, you will be rewarded with Swagbucks. As you earn more Swagbucks, you can redeem them for gift cards.
How to Start?
Click here to join Swagbucks. Use the sign up code CELEBRATE70 and you will receive an additional 70 Swagbucks to the 30 you’ll get when you complete your profile. The code is only good until October 31st, so hurry over and claim your bonus.
Be sure to click the text that reads “I have a sign up code” on the registration page. It is case sensitive, so enter it as shown.
How to Earn Swagbucks:
There are many ways to earn Swagbucks! Here is a list to get you started. I already earned over 30 this morning.
1. Install the Swagbucks toolbar. Every time you search for something, use Swagbucks. The site promotes that by having the toolbar, you’ll earn 3x the Swagbucks. I assume that is because the toolbar makes it so easy to search, you’ll use it more and therefore, earn more.
2. Shop Your Favorite Stores Using Swagbuck Links. Go to the Shop page and use their links to shop online. For every dollar you spend at your favorite store, you’ll earn a certain number of Swagbucks (SB). For example, if you shop at Groupon, use the Swagbucks link and you’ll earn 7 Swagbucks for each dollar you spend at Groupon. Spend 35 dollars at Groupon and you’ll earn 245 Swagbucks (which is half way to a $5 Amazon gift card, incidentally).
3. Clip Coupons. Do you clip coupons? For every coupon you clip from the Swagbucks site, print and redeem at a store, you earn 10 Swagbucks. More savings!
4. Complete the Daily “To Do List.” On the left of your home page, you’ll see a list of things you can do today, including the Daily Poll and Daily Crave. You’ll be able to complete these tasks quickly and earn a couple Swagbucks.
5. Download the Mobile App. When you’re waiting at the doctor’s office or at school, you can easily hop on for a couple seconds and earn Swagbucks by completing the Daily Poll or searching the web.
6. Do a Task. From the Answer tab on the Swagbucks page, you will find Tasks where you can complete a 1 Minute Opinion, 60 Second Surveys or other tasks like review a website description. The amount of bucks vary significantly. I haven’t done this yet, but I know you need a CrowdFlower account to do this.
7. Watch Videos. As you watch videos, you’ll grow on your SB Meter. As soon as you reach 100%, you’ll earn 3 SB. I find that listening to the video while I do other things is an easy way to earn Swagbucks.
8. Play Free Games. I haven’t done this, but there are many free games you can play to earn.
9. Check Out Special Offers on the Discover Tab. These are items to join, sign up for and much more. My opinion: do only what interests you. And if you were considering getting a Chase Freedom card already, bonus! You will earn 2995 Swagbucks while you do it (which is $30 dollars in Amazon gift cards . . . yes, I love Amazon!).
10. Refer Friends. When your referred friend earns Swagbucks, you will too. It is an easy way to multiple your earnings.
Who doesn’t love free? Swagbucks is a great way to earn free gift cards. And don’t forget, if you haven’t joined yet: Click here and use code CELEBRATE70 to earn your 70 bonus Swagbucks.
What would you buy with your free gift cards? I’d buy gifts and party supplies from Amazon (of course!).
(This Swagbucks link is my personal referral link. Thanks so much if you click and use it!)
Welcome to Entertaining Fridays! I am so glad you are here.
Today, I have a great tip for saving money on tablecloths. It is amazing how much a regular tablecloth can cost. I’d rather not spend a ton of money on something that is inevitably going to be stained by my kids, their birthday friends or my husband. Wait, did I just say that out loud?
When I was a Wedding & Event Planner, I rented hundreds of table linens. I loved the variety of colors, materials and patterns. (I also loved rolling them up after being stained and letting someone else worry about it >>read why I miss my staff here.) But in doing all that, I learned a little secret.
Do you want to know what the secret is?
Many party rental companies sell out-right their older table linens at amazing prices. I can buy linen napkins for 25 cents each and you would never know they were rental company rejects. When I started buying linens from these companies, I often found long buffet tablecloths for under $7. Now, I am paying $10 each, but to get the color I want, it is still a steal.
When you are looking at the different linens, be selective. If you find a random stain on a tablecloth, grab another one. If you are buying a lot of napkins, take a good look at coloring and avoid faded ones. Even with a little sorting, this is a great way to save money on tablecloths.
Have you missed out on our series? It is very easy to catch up! Just hover over “Entertaining” on the navigation bar and select “Entertaining Fridays.” You’ll find ideas from simple centerpieces to creative seating.
Where do you find your tablecloths? Do buy retail or shop around?
Do you secretly get a little giddy when you’re walking up a driveway to a yard sale?
Are you excited to discover yard sale treasures?
Do you like to save money by shopping garage sales for your kids’ toys and clothing?
If so, you may be a YARDSAILR.
I shop yard sales for toys, kids’ clothing and entertaining wares. Of course, there are the random items that call my name while shopping, the old furniture longing to be repurposed and the craft projects just looking for a new home. And if you want to talk parties and entertaining, I find yard sales to be a great way to save some dough as you build a collection of goods for your next event.
And that is why I am so excited to introduce you to YardSailr, a fantastic new (& free) app that finally makes it easy to find local yard sales and list your own.
Here is how it works (it couldn’t be easier):
Go to the website or download the Yardsailr app (available in the App Store or Google Play). Turn on your device’s location services or enter your zip code. Select the number of miles in which you want results. See the listings, hop in the car and shop! Didn’t I tell you it was easy?
What’s to Love about the YardSailr App:
You don’t have to search through a long list of yard sales that are far away. Unlike Craigslist, you have complete control over your search parameters. Only want to shop sales within 5 miles of your location? It’s possible. For my area, Craiglist shows all the Greater Cleveland sales…ALL! I don’t know about you, but I don’t have the time to sort through the a long list of garage sales, most of which are over an hour away. With YardSailr, you enter your zip code and choose a radius. Awesome, right?
Photos show up in the search results listing. No need to click on each sale, to find out if there are photos from the seller. They are right there in the search results. I don’t know about you, but I love seeing pictures.
The website and app are convenient and easy to use. I like the way it is structured and organized. It just makes plain old sense!
One thing I did notice was that occasionally the address showed as a range in the search (ie. 105-125 Main Street). If this happens for you, just double check the address given by the seller and you’ll be fine.
Listing your own sale is a breeze. I listed my cousin’s sale in minutes and was even able to check mark categories of items being sold (toys, collectibles, tools, etc.).
All in all, the YardSailr app is great and simple to use. It makes finding the local yard sales easy. YardSailr has a permanent place on my phone.
To celebrate their great new app, YardSailr is graciously giving away a $75 Amazon Gift Card to one of our readers. The giveaway ends Monday, August 4th at 11:59pm and there are lots of ways to earn extra entries, including a bonus for downloading the app. Use it and love it, friends!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Disclosure: I am being compensated in the form of advertising for an honest review. All opinions are my own. Please see my Disclosure Policy for more information.