To be completely honest, I am not so great at spontaneous. I am too much of a “planner.” But there is a part of me that absolutely loves the last minute call or thought to go do something completely unplanned and completely fun.
Late last summer on an very early morning walk, my neighbor gave me the idea to go to the beach. Now, when I say “beach,” I mean the beach of the Great Lake we live near… not the ocean (I could only dream). So I woke the kids up before seven, called my mom (who is always willing to do something if you tell her it is for a lark), packed a quick breakfast and we were off on our spontaneous adventure.
There we sat on the sand, wind rustling our hair, listening to the sounds of very small waves crashing on the shore. It was magnificent. We ate our breakfast, played in the sand, chased seagulls, collected rocks . . . and simply had a blast. I felt like I had been on vacation. What is it about the unplanned that leaves us with such gratification?
What can YOU do that is spontaneous today? Don’t think about what has to be done at home, just have fun and enjoy those last minute ideas.
Here are Some Quick Ideas:
- Take your kids out for ice cream, to the movies or local arcade.
- Meet your spouse after work at a park for a relaxing walk.
- Eat dinner at home then go out “on a date” for dessert.
- Take your kids to a local hotel for the night just to enjoy the pool.
- Call a neighbor and invite them over for dinner.
- Bake cookies and deliver them while still warm.