I love entertaining. But there is something especially fun about summer entertaining. And now, we have a new excuse to hang out in the great outdoors. Our deck was rebuilt and expanded. It is not completely finished, nor stained, but it was good enough for us to host a dinner party last weekend of 19 people (11 of which were kids!).
Since summer is ending, we need to make good use of our new digs. So we’ll be out there again this weekend for a family birthday party. There are just so many things to love about summer entertaining. Here is my list. What makes yours?
1. Taking Advantage of Nice Weather – Summer entertaining is a great chance to be outside and enjoy the warmer temperatures and evening breezes. We get a lot of snow during the winters. Deck and patio furniture is put in storage, snow piles fill your extra parking . . . yes, summer is wonderful for entertaining.
2. Grilling. Who doesn’t love grilled meat and veggies? Burgers, hot dogs, grilled chicken. Last weekend, we served grilled pork loin using a Pepper & Herb Rub. It was delicious!
3. The Beauty. I love nature as a backdrop. There is always something to look at, even if it is just a bird flying from tree to tree.
4. The Relaxing Setting. Whether you are overlooking the valley, a pond or a back yard of luscious green grass, outdoor entertaining is relaxing . . . as long as the weather is good, that is. Sitting under the stars, sipping your Sparkling Pink Lemonade (my new favorite) and enjoying good conversation makes for a relaxing evening.
5. Candlelight as Dusk Falls – As it begins to get dark, I love lighting a couple candles. Not only is candlelight flattering, is it pretty.
6. White Twinkle Lights and Umbrella Lights – I haven’t had the chance to put our white twinkle lights under the railing on the new deck since it has yet to be finished. But I did put white umbrella lights under our market umbrella. It gives a great and festive look.
7. You Can Go Formal or Informal – I love that you can go either way with summer entertaining. You can grab your stemmed glassware or your paper plates. Anything goes.
8. The Sounds – The sounds of nature fill the air. Birds singing, crickets chirping, water trickling.
9. Easier Clean Up – If crumbs fall on the ground, you don’t have to worry about it. Hooray!
10. Fireflies and Glow Sticks – Kids (and kids at heart) can have so much fun chasing fireflies and playing with glow sticks. The kids from last weekend danced around outside while glowing with bracelets, anklets and necklaces. My son especially loved it and kept asking if I’d go outside with him even after all the guests left.
Now if I were to make a 10 things I don’t love about outdoor entertaining, mosquitoes and rain would top the list. But hey, let’s stay positive here.